Perhaps it is that mai age is > 30, but I seem to be slipping back into tried and true technology. VIM, Tiling window managers and command line apps have become very appealing lately. I know... appalling isn't it :)
It is in this context that I finally decided to install Ubuntu Server and to see if the process of starting from a small unbloated distro works better than starting bloated and removing the gunk. (No flames from Gentoo users about what is an unbloated distro)
The verdict. Undecided.
It definitely takes less time IMO to start bloated and strip down. However, it is definitely more interesting and you learn more starting small and building up.
For me the big gotchas that make sense but still took me by surprise
1. No support for restricted drivers
2. No support for wireless
3. May have done something wrong but there was no support for DHCP
4. No sound
The system may still be a little flaky... but overall it was good fun and I may just try a Gentoo install some day (err... some week :P)
No comments:
Post a Comment